IGEQ Terms of Reference
The International Group for Equestrian Qualifications shall be made up of representatives of National Equestrian Federations (NFs) that wish to take part in the work of the Group. Membership is entirely voluntary and application to join the Group should be made to the Executive Committee. Membership to be subsequently ratified at the next Annual Conference by those members present.
Normally, each NF may nominate one organisation from its country to represent it, and a maximum of two delegates to attend events on its behalf. Every effort should be made to ensure one of these delegates remain constant, who understands the aims, objectives and ethos of the IGEQ and attends the annual conference, to ensure continuity. This does not preclude NFs nominating other delegates to attend other events specific to a discipline, as appropriate. Each member NF agrees to accept conference/committee decisions reached by democratic vote, whether or not the individual NF agrees.
Each member NF agrees to pay a membership fee, as determined from time to time, on 1 June annually, which will be invoiced by the IGEQ. NF's who may have difficulty in paying a membership fee should contact the Executive Committee.
The IGEQ shall work to:
- Harmonise qualifications in riding, driving, vaulting, western and tourism instruction including the associated stable management, and any other equestrian qualification that may be developed by any member NF.
- Issue International Equestrian Passports (through member NFs) to those suitably qualified to hold them.
- Arrange Examiner/Trainers' clinics to aid the development of a common approach to examining/training and maintain an agreed standard.
- Maintain standards through Observer visits to examinations by invitation from NFs and encourage sharing of best practice.
- Encourage the growth of equestrian activities, linked to the agreed IGEQ standards, in those countries seeking to develop.
- Further develop and recognise competition coach qualifications.
3. Operating procedures
The IGEQ to be guided by an Executive Committee comprised of 8 members, one to represent each of the following geographical regions, in addition to a Chairman, Treasurer (if appointed), Secretary and Technical Delegate (from Feb.2017). A Vice-Chairman will be nominated from members of the Executive Committee.
- Region 1 - Sweden/Denmark/Norway/Finland/Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia - Kari Haimi (2014-18)
- Region 2 - France/Belgium/Netherlands/Italy/San Marino - Anne d'Ieteren (2016-20)
- Region 3 - Germany/Hungary/Austria/Switzerland - Thies Kaspareit (2017-21)
- Region 4 - Poland/Romania/Czech Republic/Slovenia - Waclaw Pruchniewicz (2016-20)
- Region 5 - UK/Ireland/Israel/Bermuda/Palestine/China - Lizzel Winter FBHS (2017-21)
- Region 6 - Canada/South Africa/ Mauritious/Malawai - Di Pieterse (2015-19)
- Region 7 - Portugal/Spain/Mexico/Greece - Filipe Correia (2015-19)
- Region 8 - Australia/Malaysia/New Zealand - Alison Gestier (2016-19)
- Technical Delegate - Islay Auty FBHS (Vice Chairman) (2017-21)
Regional representatives nominated by the member countries of each region serve a term of 4 years on a rotating basis. The composition of the Executive Committee will be confirmed at the IGEQ annual conference.
4. Officers of the IGEQ
The Chairman shall be recommended by the Executive Committee and confirmed by IGEQ. He/she shall serve for a term of 4 years. When the current term of office expires, nominations may be made to the Executive Committee. If more than one nomination is received a ballot will be held. The appointment of Chairman for the next 4 years will then be confirmed by the IGEQ annual conference.
The Executive Committee shall appoint a Vice Chairman and Secretary, for a period of 4 years and a Treasurer if agreed necessary.
Ownership of all documentation and records shall remain vested in the Group. As agreed in 1992 at the outset, the working language of the Group will be English.
5. Arbitration Procedure
In the event of a member federation wishing to resolve a problem, the following procedure shall apply:
- The federation concerned shall submit their query/problem in writing to the Secretary, who will forward it to the Chairman and members of the Executive Committee.
- If necessary an Extraordinary Meeting of the Executive Committee will be convened to discuss the matter with representatives of the federation concerned. Following this the Executive Committee will make recommendations to the next full conference. If the matter is too urgent to wait, then the Executive Committee will take any necessary decision on behalf of the Group.
The international conferences shall be organised as often as agreed necessary, by invitation from a member NF as host. The programme shall be agreed by the Executive Committee, in collaboration with the host NF.
7. IGEQ Passport
- The International Passport shall be issued to an NF on receipt of an official order. An invoice will then be issued for the total cost (inc. postage, bank charges etc), which will be dispatched with the passports by registered post.
- Each NF is responsible for the issue of passports to its own suitably qualified trainers/instructors if they should wish to apply, and for the verification of the qualifications shown in a passport.
- The regulations for the issue of passports are determined by the IGEQ and may be amended, as necessary from time to time.
- The Secretary shall maintain a central database of all passports issued to NFs. Each NF shall maintain complete records of passports issued and submit quarterly returns to the Secretary, confirming passport numbers issued, the date, to whom, and the level.
- The Secretary and one nominated delegate shall be signatories to the Group’s bank account.
- The Secretary shall maintain accounts showing income and expenditure, which must be audited annually.
Any surplus in the account may be used for funding Observer visits, examiner training or other agreed seminars, after meeting the following costs, in order of priority:
- (i) The travel and accommodation of the Chairman and Secretary to meetings of the Executive Committee and Conferences and of the Treasurer (if appointed).
- (ii) Administration costs, e.g. passports, stationery, IT, telephone, fax, postage etc.
- (iii) Costs of Executive Meetings and assistance to representatives with the cost of travel to Executive meetings not linked to the annual conference
Each NF is responsible for the expenses of its own delegates to attend IGEQ conferences, Executive meetings and seminars except in the case of travel assistance referred to in (iii) above.